Welcome to Glasgow West Credit Union Limited
Glasgow West Credit Union was formed in the year 2000.
Heather Ritchie, a local councillor, was the main driving force behind setting up the Credit Union and she encouraged many others to join.
It was originally opened and operated from Whiteinch Community Centre and laterally moved to our premises in Partick, 434 Dumbarton Road, where we have remained since.
Our Mission Statement:
Our mission is to provide access to affordable credit and a savings facility for anyone who lives or works in our Common Bond Area G3, G11, G12, G13 and G14.
How do I join?
Complete a membership application form and provide proof of identity and address. A minimum of £5.00 should be deposited at the time of opening, from which £3.00 will be deducted as a joining fee.
Examples of acceptable identity are:
- Proof of Identity
- Proof of Address
- Current Passport
- Current U.K. photo card driving licence
- Current U.K. driving licence – old style
- Benefit/Pension letter (for current financial year)
- PAYE Coding No
The above are only examples of what you can use, please
phone us or talk to staff if you require further information.
- Proof of name, address and National Insurance Number is required by current Money Laundering Regulations so we are unable to open your account without this.
- Maximum that may be held by one member or one household is £10,000.00 (£5,000 in each of share 1 and share 2)
- Minimum deposit to the credit union account is £5, thereafter it is up to you how much you save.
- There is a £12.00 annual membership fee. The fee will be transferred from your shares, £3 at the start October., £3 in January, £3 in April and a further £3 in July (This is reviewed regularly)
- Members who have an outstanding loan balance may withdraw shares only if the share balance is greater than the loan balance.
The qualification for membership is the same as Adult Membership criteria. The Junior Account is for savings only. Sight of a Birth Certificate as proof of identity must be exhibited for children to join. A Junior member is from birth until their 16th birthday. There are no joining or quarterly fees on Junior accounts.
Loans & Loan
The benefits of borrowing from Glasgow West Credit Union are:
- No arrangement fees or hidden charges
- No penalty for early repayment
- Only pay interest on daily outstanding loan balance
- All our decisions are made quickly based on your personal circumstances and requirements
- Decisions are made in house, not by credit score
- Applications can generally be handed into the office and processed at that time
- Repayments will be tailored to enable you to meet these within budget, subject to permitted loan durations
A loan applications form should be completed and handed in to the office together with evidence of income and, if possible, a bank statement as this will assist Loan Officers with the assessment. It is hoped the loan application will be processed at time of receipt.
Share balances are held as security against the loan and funds cannot be withdrawn from shares until the outstanding loan balance is lower than share balance.
First loans have different assessment criteria and restrictions. For further information regarding these, please discuss with a staff member.